Thursday, October 22, 2015

#TBT - Date Night @ Indochine

Happy Thursday!

Since I just did a "Throwback Tuesday" blog, I thought I would continue the theme by posting a "Throwback Thursday" one as well. I also wanted to write about my favorite restaurant in Wilmington, Indochine, and the one I will miss the most when I move. I know there are a plethora of excellent Asian restaurants in the Charlotte area, and I am definitely looking forward to trying all of them, but this one will always have a special place in my heart. Ask anyone who lives here what their favorite Asian restaurant is, and I guarantee that at least 85% of them will give the same answer - Indochine. I remember when it first opened and went with my parents - we knew it would be a hit from our very first visit, and it certainly has. It has excellent ratings on TripAdvisor and Yelp, and has been given numerous awards by Encore, one of our local publications. Everything on their menu is equally delicious, from their sushi to their calamari to their curry dishes, and everything in between. I am going to write about my most recent experience from earlier this year, when Chris and I went for a (much-needed) date night.



Red Lotus Martini

The first thing I need to mention is Indochine's atmosphere. It is the most beautiful restaurant I have EVER been in, and I'm no stranger to nice restaurants! When you step inside, you feel as though you've been transported to a palace in Southeast Asia - it's decorated to the nines with paintings, artifacts and artwork. The best part is that they have an outside patio with secluded Thai huts around the central lotus pond, so you can sit outside when it's warm and feel like you're in zen garden. (You can see photos of both the exterior and the interior on their website here.) It was voted Encore's Best Asian and Best Atmosphere for 10 years in a row for a reason! Something else I want to acknowledge is that I've always had exceptional service each time I've visited. The servers are extremely friendly, attentive and knowledgeable, which, after waiting tables myself for over a decade, I appreciate. Additionally, the waitresses wear Asian-inspired dresses, which adds to the overall ambiance quite nicely. 

We went on a Friday night in February, and the restaurant had little lights hung everywhere, giving it a magical feeling. It was warm inside, and busy, too, which isn't unusual - they're always packed. Since there was a wait, we decided to get some cocktails and relax until our table was ready. As I've mentioned before, we don't drink alcohol much anymore, but they have a great wine list as well as some amazing signature drinks, and it WAS a date, after all! I ordered the Red Lotus martini (see above). It contains raspberry vodka, pomegranate liquor, triple sec, cranberry, and fresh-squeezed lemon and lime juices. It was an absolutely beautiful drink (as you can see in the picture), in addition to being delicious. It was definitely strong, especially with the three different liquors, but the alcohol itself wasn't too overpowering. I squeezed the orange slice into the martini and the result was a sweet and tangy drink that I would definitely order again. (As an added bonus, I kept the decorative flower that was served with it to remember that night!) Chris ordered a Tsingtao, which is his usual order at Asian restaurants. If you've never heard of it, Tsingtao is a Chinese pilsner-style lager with a nutty, sweet taste that complements spicy and Asian food perfectly. We took our drinks outside to enjoy the crisp air and the beautiful surroundings while we waited. 

Hokkien Hot Noodles

I order the same few things whenever I go to Indochine - I know I should be more adventurous, but it's hard when I find something I really like.  The Hokkien Hot Noodles are definitely one of my favorites (see above). I have probably ordered this more times than anything else on this menu, and each time it's better than the last. This dish consists of yellow and rice noodles mixed with shrimp, chicken, pork, squid, bean sprouts, eggs, and green and caramelized onions. Everything is tossed together in a wok in a sweet and spicy sauce, and it is just outstanding. I can't even describe the multitude of flavors you get in each bite! The noodles are chewy and go perfectly with the other ingredients, and the sauce isn't too heavy where it overwhelms the other flavors. You can have them make it as spicy as you want, but I generally order it medium, so you get the heat without it being unbearable. Whenever I order this dish it's always chock full of both meat and veggies, and I always have enough to take home as leftovers. Speaking of leftovers, this dish is definitely one that is even better the second day, after the flavors have had more time to sit and develop. 

Chris ordered another of their specialty dishes, the Imperial Pineapple Rice. I don't have a picture of his meal, but I definitely feel that it is worth mentioning. I don't typically order rice at Asian restaurants (I prefer noodle dishes), but this was unlike any other that I've eaten. Shrimp, chicken, pork and Chinese sausage are stir-fried with eggs, peanuts, cashews, yellow beans, edamame, pineapple and mushrooms, and then all the ingredients are added to the rice. I can't even begin to describe the aroma and flavors you get as soon as the plate is set in front of you.  As for the flavor, well, suffice it to say that it is the epitome of umami. The sausage is salty and spicy, and adds a great contrast to the nuts and proteins. The pineapple sweetens and brightens up the dish as a whole, and the result is absolutely incredible. This was the first time we had ever tried it (one of my colleague's girlfriends suggested it), and we were pleasantly surprised. 

All of their entrees are of decent size, and we both had plenty of food to take home and eat the following day. One of my biggest issues with taking food home is that, more often than not, when re-heated, the food tends to dry out in the microwave. I've already mentioned how satisfying my noodles were, and the Imperial Rice was just as good. Both were still extremely flavorful, and luckily, their respective sauces prevented both dishes from becoming too dry. Chris and I have both discussed ordering these two dishes again before we move; we know that whatever we get will be just as wonderful whether we choose to dine in or take it home. Five stars all around for Indochine - keep up the spectacular work!

The quote I'll leave you with today is from J.R.R. Tolkien: "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Couldn't agree more. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment